Tuesday, January 31, 2006

random thoughts on india

*the men here wear skirts. they're like sheets wrapped around their bodies. they look very comfy and i would like to try one, but i would look like a cross dresser. plus my hair is 1 inch long and that's already pushing it here!

*also, (straight) men here hold hands or have their arms around each other's shoulders when they walk down the street. my friend even saw 2 cops holding hands the other day!

*what do i wear, asks cate? not tank tops! that would be equivalent to wearing a negligee out. i packed t-shirts instead of tank tops and i think they're too tight (even though they're just fitted, not tight!) i'm going to buy an indian outfit tomorrow so that i can blend a bit better - a long tunic and some pants that are loose, comfortable, and cute. and cheap!

*foreigners (that's me!) have celebrity status over here. people ask to take your picture, stare at you for lengthy periods of time. at the train station a couple weeks ago, i was just sitting there and some little kid walked up to me and held out his hand, so i shook it. word spread like wildfire, and before i knew it there were over a dozen people around me, shaking my hand, saying "hello!". like pushing other people so they could look at me. weird.

*oh, i don't know if anyone remembers that lake with alligators in it from my first or second entry, but i ended up swimming in it! no gators to be seen!

*i was going to wash my own clothes, but then i realized that it's only 5 rupees ($0.10) per item. i had a hard time justifying washing my own clothes at that point!

*i have learned to eat with my hands (or hand, i should say - it's extremely rude to eat with your left hand here). i eat rice and mushy stew with my fingers. it's fun!

that's it for the random thoughts for now, but i'll try to keep 'em coming!

1 Comments:

Blogger aaa said...

hello,'
i am from delhi. ur blog amuzed me coz it is nice to know that sm people ffrom abroard sincerely appreciate certain things about my culture. Were u in kerala? it is wonderful there.

nice to get to know ur experience, write more. if u cm to delhi, mail me. i am a woman journalist, so u dont have to fear any trouble!

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home