Tuesday, January 31, 2006

the kindness of strangers

i almost forgot to tell about my trip from amaravati to trivandrum a couple of weeks ago. first off, i was 7th on a waiting list to get on this train. this dude from the train station helped me out a little and said to call his personal cell phone the day before the train left to see if i got on. so i did, and he remembered me from over a week ago...

so he tells me i'm on the train and will i have time to stop by his home before i leave. feeling indebted, and a little suspicious of motives, i reluctantly agreed. so he drops me off at his house and i hung out with his wife for 2 hours, looking at pictures. her english was so-so. their daughter came home from school while i was there and litterally jumped when she saw me, and ran out the door. after she got used to this white person in her house, she was calling me auntie and holding my hand. i wanted to take her with me. then the wife packed me a dinner of rice and vegetables and pepper sauce, after feeding me candy for 2 hours. AND they heated up water for me to take a bath before i got on the 30 hour train ride! my only warm shower/bath since i've been here.

so fast forward 30 hours on a train, i'm getting into this city by myself at 10pm instead of 6pm and i was a little worried. i was discussing this with a woman from new york - where i should stay, is the city safe, blah blah blah. this indian man sitting across from us says he'll drop me off. his drive calls and confirms my reservation at the hostel, and they give me a ride to the place. amazing.

indian people are so hospitable, friendly, and warm. i need only fear the food and water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home